Chilli - No Beans
This is a great dish to warm up on a cold winter's night, especially for those who like the heat of chilli without the heaviness of beans. I recently updated this recipe with the addition of celery, carrots and bacon to give it a little more depth in flavor. For an Italian twist, I serve it over some spaghetti and topped with fresh Jalapeno chilies. A squirt of lemon juice over the top of the chili lightens the dish.
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs beef - cubed into 1/2 inch pieces, or ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, grated or shredded
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2-3 tbsp cumin powder, adjust according to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 3 hot pepper (ex: serrano, jalapeno, thai chillies) - adjust according to taste
- 1 can tomato sauce (~25-30 oz)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 1/2 to 4 tsp hot chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1-2 green peppers, diced
- 4-5 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- Stir fry chopped onions, garlic and hot pepper in cooking oil, until fragrant.
- Add shredded carrot, celery and bacon and fry until bacon turns slightly brown.
- Add meat and mushrooms and brown meat on all sides.
- Once browned, turn heat down and add cumin and ground black pepper.
- Add tomato sauce and cover to let simmer.
- Once meat is cooked, add brown sugar, soy sauce, hot chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add diced green peppers, stir until diced vegetables are tender.
- Serve with cilantro. May serve with cornbread, pasta, nachos or just by itself with a side of lemon.