Cuban Style Beef Tacos
This recipe is more of a stew, and the gravy adds to the flavor of the tacos. Because of the gravy there is no need for additional salsa to be added to the tacos.
- 2 lbs beef, cut into 1cm squares
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 to 3 hot chilli pepper, chopped (adjust to taste)
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 5 olives, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ to 2 tbsp chilli powder, adjust according to taste
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 6 white or brown mushrooms, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ to 1 tbsp brown sugar, adjust according to taste
- lettuce, shredded
- cheese, shredded
- plain yogurt
- Fry chopped onions, garlic, celery and hot chilli peppers in oil until fragrant.
- Add cubed beef and brown.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes, simmer until tomatoes are liquefied.
- Add raisins and olives.
- Add cumin and chilli powders.
- Add lime juice and leeks and bring to a boil. Simmer until beef is tender and gravy is a thick sauce, so that it will be well accommodated in a tortilla.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Serve in a warm tortilla along with toppings desired.