Gochujang Mapo Tofu
My kids love MaPo Tofu. They love the saucy tofu dish over rice. I have always enjoyed Gochujang. So I decided to put the two together. Gochujang MaPo Tofu has a sweeter flavor than original MaPo Tofu. It tastes great over warm steam rice. I've added fish sauce as part of this dish to add more dimension to the sauce. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it will work well as part of a lettuce wrap.
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 square silken tofu, cut into ½ inch squares
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 1 hot chili, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp GoChujang
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil
- ½ to 1 cup water, depending on sauciness desired
- Green onions, cut into 1cm pieces, optional
- Cilantro for garnish, optional
- Fry chopped onion, garlic, ginger and hot chili in some oil.
- Once onion is slightly browned, add meat and ¼ cup water.
- Stir frequently until ground meat is cooked completely.
- Once pork is cooked and excess water evaporated, add sesame seed oil and Gochujang. Stir frequently.
- Add soy and fish sauces, sugar and rice wine.
- Add cut Tofu. Stir gently to mix.
- Add ½ to 1 cup water to achieve desired sauciness.
- Once sauce is at desired thickness, add cut green onions. May garnish with cilantro.
- Serve warm over steamed rice.