Jamaican Inspired Sweet Coco Bread
This bread recipe is inspired by the Jamaican Coco Bread recipe. Some changes made to the traditional recipe is the shape and an increased amount of sugar, so that it is now a sweet bread. Though sweeter than the original, it is only mildly sweet, so topping it with some honey completes the flavor. Goes very well with some tea.
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned coconut milk ok)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 to 3 pinches of salt
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey, for drizzling
- Mix together yeast, warm water and 1 tsp brown sugar.
- Mix together egg, salt, coconut milk and remainder of brown sugar in a different bowl.
- Add egg mixture to yeast mixture.
- Add flour to the mixture, mix until dough is smooth and stiff.
- Melt butter in a separate bowl. Grease a different bowl with melted butter, then place dough in greased bowl.
- Let dough rest for 1-1.5 hours until dough doubles in size. Cover with damp cloth.
- Break dough up into golf-ball sized balls. Roll dough flat. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake in 425F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Once removed from oven, serve hot with a drizzle of honey. Goes very well with tea.