Jamaican Jerk Pork Sandwich
This sandwich is a great hot sandwich. It is spicy, as most Jerks are, but layered with sweet red peppers and sweet red onions.
- 1 lb pork (a cut of meat with some fat in it is best, such as country style ribs or any pork chop with some fat in it)
- 2 tbsp onion, powder or other dry form
- 1 tbsp garlic, powder
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- ½ to 3 habanero or scotch bonnet peppers (adjust to taste, de-seed if necessary; may substitute with jalapeno peppers if desired)
- 3 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp clove or allspice powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Low Sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 4 to 6 -6 inch sandwich bread
- Mayonaise or butter spread
- 4 to 6 leaves of lettuce
- ½ red onion, cut into rings
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- Mix together all dry ingredients. Add chopped chilli peppers, oil, lemon juice and soy sauce to make a marinade paste.
- Marinade meat with marinade paste. Let marinade in fridge for 1 to 8 hours.
- Bake at 375F preheated oven until meat is cooked to desired level.
- Once meat is cooked thoroughly, cut meat into thin slices.
- In a pan, add 1 tsp of cooking oil, add red onions and sweet red peppers. Stir fry until peppers are still crispy but warmed through. Remove from heat.
- Warm sandwich bread in oven. Spread mayonaise or butter when bread is removed from oven.
- Place cooked pork into bread, top with sweet red pepper/red onion mixture.
- Add lettuce to the top of red pepper mix.
- Enjoy sandwich warm!