Malaysian Nasi Lemak - Coconut Rice
- 3 cups rice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 can of coconut milk
Other Accompanying Side Dishes
- 1 cucumber
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- Roasted Spanish Peanuts
- Fried Anchovies (optional)
- 2 medium onion
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 inch ginger
- 5 to 15 dry chillies (depending on taste)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 limes
- 1 to 4 tsp soy sauce, adjust according to taste ( may use salt as substitute)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Sambal Paste as noted in this recipe
- Place rice, coconut milk and salt in pan.
- Add sufficient water according to rice package directions, making sure to subtract volume of coconut milk from water added.
- Boil according to directions on rice package.
Sambal Paste and Shrimp
- Cut onions, garlic, and ginger into cube size.
- Fry onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant in oil.
- Add dry chillies and fry until fragrant.
- Once fragrant, pour into food processor and process until well minced.
- Pour mixture back into pan and add shrimp once mixture is warmed.
- Stir until shrimp is cooked. Add brown sugar and soy sauce (or salt) to taste.
- Add zest and juice of 1 lime. Save other lime to place on table to be squeezed just prior to serving.
- Serve hot over rice, garnish with cilantro or green onions as desired.
- Cut cucumber into slices and serve as a side dish. Serve with other accompanying side dishes as well (hard boiled eggs etc)