A sweet, rich and nutty dessert that goes very well with tea.
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Phyllo pastry - may get from frozen section of grocery store
- 2 sticks butter - melted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamon powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ inch lemon rind
- Mix all ingredients for filling.
- Butter 9x13 pan.
- Place 7 layers of phyllo sheet, buttering between each layer. Keep phyllo sheet under a wet cloth while working with it. Work quickly with it or phyllo sheet can dry out.
- Spread filling in a thin layer.
- Place another 7 layers of phyllo sheet, again buttering between each layer.
- Spread filling in a thin layer again.
- Keep repeating until all of filling is used up, end with phyllo sheets on the top.
- Using a sharp knife, cut baklava diagonally.
- Bake in preheated oven of 350F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Place all syrup ingredients in a saucepan and slowly mix all until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour syrup over top of baklava. Adjust how much syrup is added to sweetness desired.