Jazzed Up Macaroni And Cheese
A slight twist on the traditional cheesy American comfort food - A smoky flavor added by bacon bits and a hearty flavor added by mushrooms make this a perfect food on a cool night.
- ¼ med. onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups macaroni or other pasta
- 1 cup mushroom - sliced thinly
- 1 cup half and half cream or whole milk
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ to ¾ cup cheese - usually mix of two types (diced)
- 2 tsp parsley
- ¾ cup Bread crumbs - store bought or homemade - see "Homemade Breadcrumb" recipe)
- 3 slices bacon - optional
- 1 tsp paprika - for garnishing - optional
- Cook bacon in oven until crispy
- Once cooked, slice bacon into small pieces to be mixed into pasta later.
- Boil pasta until al-dente.
- Fry onion and garlic in oil and butter until slightly browned.
- Add mushroom and fry until fragrant.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Add flour.
- Add milk and stir well to ensure no lumps.
- Let simmer until mix thickens slightly.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Add cooked pasta and mix well.
- Add crispy chopped bacon and parsley to the mix.
- Top with paprika if desired.
- If desired, may serve as is with side of roasted chicken (see roasted chicken recipe), or may place pasta in oven-safe dish and top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 mins at 350°F.