Malay Style Fried Noodles
A favorite amongst locals in Malaysia - A spicy, tangy noodle dish complemented by the sweet taste of shrimp and cabbage and cooled with a cucumber topping. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs yellow noodles (or 3/4 pack spaghetti noodles - cooked, rinsed with cold water and drained)
- 1 cup shrimp - peeled, washed/rinsed with salt (or chicken, beef, pork - sliced thinly)
- 2 cups cabbage - sliced thinly ( or beansprouts if available)
- 1 bunch green onion - cut into cm length
- 3 cloves garlic-chopped
- 0.5 medium onion-chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp crushed pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lime (juice for garnishing)
- Lettuce, Cucumber - Sliced thinly for garnishing
- Fry garlic and onion in oil until slightly browned.
- Add crushed peppers and fry until fragrant.
- Add meat and fry until meat is cooked.
- Set meat aside.
- Add eggs to oil and fry until no longer runny.
- Turn heat down and add noodles and meat that was set aside.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Add beansprouts and green onions underneath noodle mixture.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes allowing noodles to cover vegetables below.
- Stir noodles and vegetables until well mixed and vegetables look heated through.
- Add soy sauce and salt to taste.
- Add juice of lime just before serving.
- Use cucumber/lettuce for garnishing.