Sichuan Chili Oil
A friend of mine, who is originally from the province of Sichuan, told me how to make this side. Thanks, Didi! I couldn't believe how easy it was! Being a lover of all foods spicy, this side is something I use often to "spice" up my meal. The addition of the ginger enhances the flavor of the chili oil.
- 1 cup crushed pepper
- 1 cup oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 inch ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 to 2 tbsp sichuan peppercorn
- Heat oil in small pot.
- Add sliced ginger, Sichuan peppercorns and salt to oil.
- Allow ginger to get fragrant and brown in heated oil. Remove ginger slices once brown. Leave Sichuan peppercorns in oil.
- Turn heat off.
- Add crushed pepper to hot oil.
- Let oil and crushed peppers mingle.
- Serve as a side to any food that needs spicing up.
- Once cooled, place in a jar and refrigerate.