Ham And Split Pea Soup
This is a dish I make with leftover ham bone. It is easy to make, flavorful and very much a comfort food, especially on cold days. This recipe is Not a "creamy" Ham and Split Pea Soup, it's more of a "chunky" soup with cubes of veggies and ham interspersed throughout, Goes well on its own or served with warm toasted bread.
- Ham Picnic Shoulder Bone with some meat
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5-6 small mushrooms, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ cup split peas, soaked 2hours and drained
- ½ to 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- Fry in 2 tbsp oil chopped onion, garlic and celery.
- Once slightly browned, add split peas, carrots, mushrooms and bay leaves.
- Add ham bone into pot.
- Add water and allow to come to a boil.
- Once boiled, lower heat and cover to simmer for 1-2 hours or until meat comes off bone easily.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.