Sichuan Style Beef Noodle Soup
Sichuan Style Beef Noodle Soup is one of my favorite noodle soup dishes - and if you know me, you know I like noodle soup. It's a spicy comfort food that is perfect on a cold day. If you have the time to make homemade beef bone broth, your mouth will thank you.
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 inch ginger, diced
- 4-5 star anise
- 2-3 bay leaves
- ¼-½ tsp Sichuan pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup soybean paste
- 1-2 tbsp hot chilli oil (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 6-7 cups beef broth (store bought or see recipe for homemade beef bone broth)
- 1-2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Noodles (your favorite kind, I enjoy Shanghai noodles or homemade noodles)
- Vegetables (your favorite kind, I enjoy Napa or bok choy)
- Garnishes (cilantro, green onion, boiled egg)
- Fry in a large pot 1-2 tbsp oil, diced onion, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, star anise and Sichuan peppers.
- Once fragrant, turn heat to medium and add soybean paste and hot chilli oil.
- Add brown sugar and mix.
- Add beef bone broth and allow to come to a boil.
- Add 1-2 cups of water to dilute soup according to taste.
- Add salt and hot chilli oil according to taste.
- Serve hot soup over cooked noodles and favorite vegetables.