Trini Style Pepper Shrimp
This dish was inspired by the Trinidadian style of making shrimp. A little sweet, a little sour and spicy all at once. Many different layers of flavors on sweet tasting shrimp and red peppers....
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled, washed with salt and rinsed)
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 hot peppers (preferably scotch bonnets or habanero, adjust according to taste)
- 0.5 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 inches celery, diced
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 5 stalks green onion cut into 1 cm strips
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, adjust according to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ tsp thyme (preferably broad leaf)
- Fry chopped onion, garlic, ginger, hot peppers and celery in cooking oil until fragrant.
- Once fragrant, add shrimps, thyme and rum.
- Once shrimp is cooked, add ketchup and soy sauce.
- Once ketchup looks like its warm, add red peppers and green onions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over warm rice.