Malaysian Style Spicy Fried Rice
This is a perfect dish to make when you have day old rice and a little bit of vegetables left over in the fridge. The proportions I use tend to have less rice than traditional fried rice dishes but I feel it just makes the dish more tasty!
- 2 cups day old rice
- 1 cup frozen pea/carrot mix
- ¼ medium onion - sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ lb shrimp or any meat - cut meat thinly
- 2 stalks green onion cut into 1 cm strips
- 1 to 2 tsp Sambal Oelek or your favorite chili sauce
- 3 tbsp oil
- dry roasted peanuts for garnishing
- Cilantro for garnishing
- salt to taste
- Slice onion and garlic into small pieces.
- Fry until slightly browned in oil.
- Scramble egg in bowl and add to onion/garlic/oil mixture.
- Stir until egg is cooked, and set aside to side of pan.
- Add chili sauce and fry until fragrant.
- Add meat and stir until cooked. Set to side of pan.
- Add pea/carrot mix and stir until warmed.
- Add green onion into mix.
- Mix all ingredient from pan until well mixed.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add rice to mix and stir until well mixed and rice is warmed through.
- Taste for sufficient salt.
- Serve rice warm with peanuts, cucumber and cilantro as garnishing.