Chicken Gumbo Soup
A spicy soup made of okra and a medley of vegetables that is a perfect comfort food for a cool day.
- 2 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup brown rice
- 1 green pepper
- 1 cup okra, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup carrot
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust according to taste)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 4 dashes of tabasco sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes
- Marinade chicken breast with oil, salt and pepper. Save chicken drippings for soup.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Once cooled, cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Dice all vegetables.
- Fry onion and garlic in oil until slightly browned.
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini and tomatoes.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, and brown rice. Add chicken drippings.
- Add chicken broth and allow to simmer until rice gets tender.
- Once rice is tender, add frozen okra and tabasco sauce and allow to boil once.
- Serve warm with grilled cheese sandwich or crackers.