German Inspired Currywurst Sandwich
Currywurst is a popular fast food in Germany. It is usually comprised of tomato sauce, bratwurst and curry powder. In my version, I add some mushrooms and onions to round out the flavors to be part of a sandwich. Great as a lunch or a picnic.
- 5 sausages
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, ringed
- 5 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 to 2 tsp curry powder (adjust according to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 buns
- 5 small lettuce leaves
- 5 slices of cheese
- Cook sausages on stovetop, oven or boiling in water. Boiling in water is preferred if sausage is salty, to remove excess salt. Slice sausages into 1cm rounds once cooked.
- Fry onions and mushroom in 1 tablespoonful cooking oil.
- Add sausage rounds and brown slightly.
- Add ketchup and curry powder and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon warm sausage with sauce into toasted hot dog buns.
- Place sliced cheese and lettuce over sausage and serve!