Jamaican Style Pepper Shrimp
This recipe combines shrimps with very hot Scotch Bonnet peppers. Traditionally this dish is eaten as an appetizer, but here I have added a few vegetables to make it part of a meal.
- 1 ½ lbs shrimps (peeled, deveined and rinsed with salt)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers (leave whole if prefer dish to be less spicy)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- ¼ red onion, cut into rings
- 0.5 sweet peppers, cut thinly
- 2 stalks green onion, cut into 1/2 inch length
- ¼ tsp allspice powder
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Fry chopped garlic and Scotch bonnet in vegetable oil.
- Add shrimps, then thyme and allspice powder.
- Add vinegar once shrimps are cooked.
- Add thinly sliced red onion and red sweet peppers.
- Add salt to taste and green onions.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm with steamed rice.