Portuguese Inspired Braised Peas And Eggs
This recipe is a comfort food for the Portuguese. Simple to make, but warms the soul. Perfect for a cool fall or winter's night.
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 hot chilli pepper, chopped (adjust to taste)
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup smoky sausage (may omit if prefer vegetarian version)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 leeks, sliced thinly
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 stalks cilantro, for garnish
- salt to taste
- Stir fry choped onion, garlic and hot pepper in oil until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add sliced sausage to brown.
- Add diced tomatoes and coriander powder and let simmer.
- Once tomatoes have liquefied, add peas and let simmer until peas are warmed through. Add salt to taste.
- Break eggs directly into simmering tomato sauce. Do not mix. Cover to let simmer to cook eggs to desired consistency.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with bread (or garlic bread).