Spicy Jamaican Like Patties
A fusion of Indian samosas and Jamaican patties. The filling is made with potatoes instead of bread crumbs that is commonly used in traditional Jamaican patties. The potatoes make the meat filling tender and moist.
- 1 lb ground beef, thawed
- 1 cup thawed and drained peas
- 3 medium potatoes
- 0.5 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 3 tbsp curry powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- ½ cup peas
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 4 tbsp cold water
- Boil potatoes until soft; drain all liquid.
- Mash potatoes and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, fry diced onion and garlic.
- Add meat and stir, frequently until cooked.
- Add curry powder and chilli powder.
- Add peas and turn off heat.
- Add potatoes to mixture and stir until well mixed.
- This is the filling of the patty.
- Mix together flour, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cut butter into dry mixture until it reaches pea sized texture.
- Add only enough cold water until mixture just starts to stick to itself.
- Roll out dough into cylinder shape; just long enough to cut into 12 portions.
- Take each portion and roll flat into a circle on a floured surface.
- Add about 1 1/2 tablespoon of meat mixture into each circle.
- Seal edges by crimping with a fork.
- May freeze at this point for 1 month.
- Bake on greased pan at 400F, 15 minutes on each side.