Native American Sweet Fry Bread
This recipe is intended as an afternoon snack or as part of a hearty breakfast instead of pancakes. They are mini sized to fit the smaller portions that my kids enjoy. Traditionally Fry Breads are eaten as part of a sandwich, taco or just a snack. Feel free to remove most of the sugar if you'd like to enjoy it as part of a sandwich or taco or any savory dish. I think it might be a great side to a spicy curry dish as well.
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup warm milk
- ½ cup warm water
- cooking oil (sufficient for deep frying)
- honey, for drizzling (optional)
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Mix together all wet ingredients.
- Mix together both wet and dry ingredients.
- Make 1 inch balls and flatten with floured rolling pin. Make a small hole in the middle of dough.
- Heat 2 inches oil in pan.
- Fry bread on one side until brown, then fry the other side.
- Serve warm, plain or with some honey.