Sweet Mustard Mashed Potatoes
On our last visit to Germany, I found a new condiment in the grocery store - Sweet Mustard. Being without my regular spices to work with, I added the Sweet Mustard to Mashed Potatoes. My family enjoyed the meal as a side to Currywurst Sausages (without the Sandwich). Now back home in North America, Sweet Mustard is not an easy condiment to find = so I add the sweetness to my favorite mustard to make the mashed potato recipe. We have it as a side to Paprika Lime Pork Chops or Jamaican Jerk Chicken.
- 5 boiled potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp spicy brown Mustard (or your favorite Mustard)
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- Mash potatoes, adding salt and butter to it. Set aside covered.
- Fry chopped onion in oil until lightly browned.
- Turn heat down, add Mustard and sugar. Remove from heat.
- Add mash potatoes to onion mix. Add black pepper.
- Mix well. Adjust salt and sugar to taste.
- Add milk to mash potatoes and stir.