Spicy Shepherd's Pie
A mostly traditional shepherd's pie but with a slight spin.
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey or lamb)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 0.5 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup mushroom, diced
- 2 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp crushed pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch powder
- 4 medium to large potatoes
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp stalks green onion - finely chopped
- ½ cup cheese, shredded (mozarella, pepperjack recommended)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup milk
- tsp salt/pepper to taste
- For filling, fry onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly brown.
- Add celery, carrots and mushrooms; allow to fry for a few minutes.
- Add ground meat.
- Add salt, pepper and crushed peppers to taste.
- Dissolve cornstarch in some cold water and stir until dissolved.
- Add into pan and bring to a boil.
- Remove meat mix from stove. Set aside.
- For topping, boil potatoes until soft so as to allow mashing.
- Add butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, green onion and mix well.
- Add mayonnaise and milk and mix well.
- Allow mashed potato to cool before adding shredded cheese.
- Place meat at bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Spread mash potato over meat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F.
- Serve warm.