Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad
This is one my favorite banchans in a Korean restaurant. Cooling and fiery, with a bit of sweet to the round out the flavors.
- 2 cups cucumbers (pickling cucumbers preferred, but may use any type of cucumbers)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 to 3 tsp Korean hot pepper powder, adjust according to taste
- 1 tsp Gochujang, or Korean chili paste
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Wash cucumbers, leave skin on preferably, remove seeds if not using pickling cucumbers and slice thinly or chunky (1 cm width) depending of preferences.
- Drain cucumbers and dry off with a paper towel before adding into the marinade.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, except toasted sesame seeds.
- Add dry and sliced cucumber into marinade. Let stand for 1 to 8 hours refrigerated. Add toasted sesame seeds just prior to serving.
- Serve as a side to any meal.